Search This Blog

Installing gcc on OpenIndiana

This shouldn't have been such a difficult task, but it has taken me four days (on and off) to work it out.

Problem: Install gcc on OpenIndiana
Pain level: 8/10
Solution: Simple!

I Googled around a huge amount and all the articles I found were utterly useless. They suggested that once gcc is installed that is should be in /usr/sfw/bin, and the reason a configure script cannot find it is because /usr/sfw/bin is not in the $PATH by default.

Well, doing a pkg search gcc reveals a load of different packages, which is quite nice - it's always nice to have a choice, but after installing a bunch of them it didn't seem to make any difference. To be honest I have no idea what files have actually been added to my system, and I haven't yet worked out how to get the file list (yes, I'm a Solaris n00b).

Anyway: easy, really: pkg install SUNWgcc

And that's it! Solved! You don't even need to update your path. Marvellousfish.

$ uname -a
SunOS openindianaVM 5.11 oi_151a7 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

Thanks: http://hashbang0.com/2008/05/19/installing-gcc-on-opensolaris/

It should be noted that SUNWgcc has problems with .visible, but the gcc package cannot find it's own dependencies! (Binaries in /opt/gcc/4.4.4/bin). Buyer beware!

No comments :

Post a Comment

My profile on StackExchange